The Institute of Technology Futures combines the Institute of History and the Institute of Philosophy and includes research and teaching in both institutes. Furthermore, the Institute of Technology Futures serves as a platform for reflections in the social sciences and humanities about the interrelatedness of humans, technology and environment. Hence, the institute serves also as a cooperation partner for natural, engineering and technical sciences at KIT, especially in the fields of climate, environment, energy, and mobility.
Current research focusses on
- Development of methods and tools for the analysis of technology
- Analysis of metaphors and models
- Discourse analysis and argumentation analysis
- Time concepts and temporal modality
- The future as a controversial sphere of design
- Strategies for dealing with future risks